I think MaMa was making these for a special breakfast treat for herself. Little did she know that my little brother and I would like them so much. I call them hard cookies, she calls them Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Biscotti. She says they are for dipping in your coffee. I say they are for dipping in your milk, because I don't want to stunt my growth, and I just don't find the appeal in coffee, yet. Either way, these whole wheat biscotti are a breakfast treat your whole family will enjoy.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Biscotti
A tasty treat for breakfast (or anytime).
Ingredients (12 biscotti)
- 1 c Joseph's Grainery Soft White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 c Joseph's Grainery Hard Red Whole Wheat Bread Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder and sugar together.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla to the bowl. Stir with a spatula until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Form the dough into a log and lay on a silpat or parchment paper covered baking sheet, pressing the logs out flat and evenly. If you want small biscotti, make sure you do long and narrow logs.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and with a sharp cerated knife, cut into strips horizontally or on an angle.
- Lay the biscotti on their sides back on the baking sheet.
- Lower the temperature to 250 degrees and bake again for 25 minutes.
- Remove and let cool before storing in an air tight container at room temperature.