|Whole Wheat Applesauce Donuts freshly topped with a Maple Glaze...yummm.|
Whole Wheat Applesauce Donuts with Maple Glaze
A delicious way to get your whole family to enjoy whole grains for breakfast!
Ingredients (1 dozen donuts)
- 1/2 c honey
- 1/4 c butter, melted
- 1 1/2 c Joseph's Grainery Soft White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c applesauce
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 1/2 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/4 c real maple syrup
- 1/4 c butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-3 c powdered sugar, if needed to thicken the glaze to desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream the honey and butter until well combined. Stir in the egg.
- Add the dry ingredients and applesauce alternately until everything is well mixed.
- Bake in a well greased donut tin/pan at 350 for about 11 minutes, check after 8 minutes.
- In a small saucepan mix the milk and cornstarch until they are dissolved. Add the syrup and using a fork or whisk, stir the mixture over medium heat until it is thick. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cream the butter and vanilla until they are well mixed and then beat in the cooled syrup mixture. Beat on high until the glaze is the consistency you desire. If it is too runny, add 1-3 cups of powdered sugar to achieve desired consistency.
Here's a look at what MaMa's donut pan looks like. If you like donuts and want to bake them at home, this pan would be a great idea!