|Chicken Pesto Soup with Barley and Orzo|
Chicken Pesto Soup with Barley and Orzo
A simply delicious whole grain soup in the slow cooker.
- 32 oz carton Chicken Broth
- 2 c milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 c pesto
- 1 1/2 c carrots, chopped
- 1 c celery, chopped
- 1/2 c Joseph's Grainery Barley, soaked for 24 hours
- 1/4 c onion chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 c whole wheat orzo pasta, uncooked
- Add everything, except the chicken and orzo, together in a 6 quart slow cooker . Add chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (depending on slow cooker).
- When the chicken is cooked through and easily falls apart, remove and shred.
- Place shredded chicken back in the slow cooker. Stir in uncooked orzo noodles and cook for another 15-20 minutes or until pasta is cooked.