This super moist coffee cake was an absolute hit at our house! Talk about a tasty breakfast treat, this Cinnamon Sour Cream Coffee Cake is also halfway healthy with two different types of Joseph's Grainery Whole Grain Flours. MaMa made this in a 9 inch round pie plate, she says she should have known better, as it made a big mess in the oven, but she says it's OK because it gave the cake a rustic look. Moral of the story...try this coffee cake, but make sure you use a big enough baking dish. ;)
Cinnamon Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Adapted from The Back In The Day Bakery Cookbook
A delicious Whole Grain twist to your typical super moist coffee cake.
- 1/4 c brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 c Joseph's Grainery Soft White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 2 c Joseph's Grainery Barley Flour
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 12 Tbs (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c sour cream
- 3/4 c powdered sugar
- 3 Tbs honey
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a cake pan or baking dish with cooking spray
- In a small bowl, combine the streusel ingredients, cutting in the butter with a pastry blender until the crumbs are the size of peas. Set aside.
- Sift together the flours, powder, soda, salt and cardamom.
- In the bowl of your mixer, fitted with the paddle attachement, cream the butter and granulated sugar for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and sour cream and mix until just blended.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture and mix until combined, scraping sides of bowl to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared dish. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of the streusel. Top with the rest of the batter and then finish off with the remainder of the streusel.
- Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- While the cake cools, make the glaze. Mix the powdered sugar, honey and 2 Tbs water into a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the cake has cooled, drizzle with the glaze over the top of the cake. Enjoy!