So here is MaMa's take on the Daring Baker's Challenge for October:
Glazed Pumpkin Donuts with Whole Grain Flours
A fun way to start a Fall day!
- 1 1/2 c Joseph's Grainery Soft White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 c Joseph's Grainery Barley Flour
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 c sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c + 1 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1 c pumpkin
- Oil for frying
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. Cream together the sugar and butter in large bowl. Beat in egg, then yolks and vanilla. Gradually beat in buttermilk; beat in pumpkin. Using rubber spatula, fold in dry ingredients in 4 additions, blending gently after each addition.
- Press out 1/3 of dough on floured surface to 1/2- to 2/3-inch thickness. Cut out dough rounds, using whatever you may have that'll get the job done (we used a glass). Arrange on sheets. Repeat with remaining dough in 2 more batches. Gather dough scraps. Press out dough and cut out more dough rounds until all dough is used.
- Using 1-inch diameter round cutter ( we used a cupcake corer, cause that's what we have) cut out center of each dough round to make doughnuts and doughnut holes.
- Pour oil into large deep skillet to depth of 1 1/2 inches. Attach deep-fry thermometer and heat oil to 365°F to 370°F. Fry donut holes until golden brown, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Fry doughnuts, 3 or 4 at a time, until golden brown, adjusting heat to maintain temperature, about 1 minute per side. Using slotted spoon, transfer doughnuts to paper towels to drain. Cool completely.
- Whisk powdered sugar and milk together to form medium thick glaze.
- Spread donuts on 1 side with powdered sugar glaze. Set donuts on racks to let the glaze harden.
Is your mouth watering yet? MaMa let me have the first bite! I wished I hadn't had that bowl of cereal, so I would've had more room for more donuts!