|These Whole What Sugar Cookies have stolen my heart!|
Part of the challenge was to decorate the cookies in a "September Theme" - whatever September means to you, well, apparently at our house September means "love". MaMa says that the heart cookie cutter was the only one that hadn't migrated to the play-dough pin, so that should explain why you're only seeing heart shaped cookies here.
Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies
Your favorite decorated cookie goes halfway healthy.
- 1/2 c + 6 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c Joseph's Grainery Soft White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 c + 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Scrape the bowl and add the sifted flours. Mix well. Divide into three pieces. Roll out each of the 3 portions between two sheets of parchment paper. Refridgerate for 30 minutes. Place on a floured surface and use a cookie cutter to form the cookies. Place the cookies on a baking sheet and allow to rest in the fridge for 30 additional minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, or until a light golden brown.
- Beat the egg whites with the lemon juice until combined. Sift the powdered sugar to remove lumps and add it to the egg whites. Beat on low until combined and smooth. Use immediately.
This little device came in quite handy while decorating the cookies. It was one of the items MaMa received while attending the International Food Bloggers Conference.