Apple Coffe Cake
Tender chunks of apple top this scrumptious coffee cake.
- 2 large apples
- 1/4 stick butter
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 3/4 c Joseph's Grainery Hard Red Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 c Joseph's Grainery Soft White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 1/4 c applesauce (preferrably unsweetened)
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 or 9 inch round pan.
- Peel, quarter and core the apples. Cut each quarter into thirds and then slice into candy-corn shaped pieces.
- Melt 1/4 stick of butter, 2 Tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the apples and toss to coat. Let them sear for a minute, then cook for about 10 minutes until they are tender and caramelized. Once they are tender, remove them from the heat and set aside for later.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients, then add the dry ingredients making sure they are thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with the carmelized apples.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 40 minutes.