MaMa's and my mouths started watering as soon as we saw this recipe on Polish The Stars. Our apple tree finally had a few apples that were begging to be baked into an apple pie, so we knew we'd be putting our whole grain twist on this Apple Pie with Crunchy Topping! This is definitely going to be our new go-to recipe for apple pie...it's that good!
Guess what my favorite part of making an Apple Pie is? Well, besides eating it...peeling the apples. We have this contrapraption that MaMa lets me spin, it's called a Peel Away Apple Peeler. If you don't have one, they are amazing if you need to peel and core a lot of apples! Ours belonged my Great Grandmother and was passed down to my MaMa, so they last a long time! No, they aren't paying me to tell you this....I just think it's so much fun, I had to share. :)
Anyways, back to this scrumptious Whole Wheat Apple Pie with Crunchy Topping...
Whole Wheat Apple Pie with Crunchy Topping
A little crunch with baked apples brings you to pie perfection.
- 1 1/4 c Joseph's Grainery Soft White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 c shortening
- 4-5 Tbs cold water
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 4-5 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 3 Tbs Joseph's Grainery Soft White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 c + 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour and salt; add shortening in small pieces and mix until crumbly. Gradually add water and lemon juice, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. On a piece of waxed paper, roll out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Carefully flip over and transfer to pie plate. Peel the waxed paper away. Trim crust to just beyond the edge of plate and flute edges.
- Peel, halve and core apples. Cut into 1/8-inch slices. Put into a large bowl. Toss with lemon juice to coat. Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over apple slices; toss to coat. Layer apple slices in pie shell, mounding them slightly higher in the center.
- Mix flour (next time we'll try whole wheat flour for the topping too!), sugars, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and add to mixture, stirring after every few pieces you add. Pat crumb topping evenly over apples to form a top crust.
- Place pie on a foil-lined cookie sheet to catch drips. Heat oven to 450F and bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350F and bake 45 minutes longer, until the top is golden brown. If topping is browning too quickly, drape a piece of foil over pie. Cool pie completely on wire rack before serving.
Thanks again to Polish the Stars for sharing this amazing recipe so we could try it out with our Whole Wheat Flour!