Yes, these are simply the best Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies you will ever taste! My MaMa's been on a mission to find a knock-off recipe of her all time favorite cookie, but it had to contain Whole Wheat Flour, so she tried whole grain-ifying many different recipes, but it wasn't until she found a recipe on Vintage Revivals, and then made it her own, was she satisfied with quest. I will attest. These cookies are amazing...I took the bite out of the cookie in the picture. Mmmmmm...good!
The Most Amazing Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies Ever
Print This Recipe
For the Cookies:1 c unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c vegetable oil
1 1/4 c sugar
3/4 c powdered sugar
2 Tbs water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt
3 c all purpose flour
2 1/2 - 3 c of Joseph's Grainery Soft White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
For the Frosting:4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
4 Tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 - 1 c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
Directions For the Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter, oil, sugars, water, eggs and lemon juice.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Mix until everything is combined. The dough should be a bit crumbly and not sticky at all.
- Roll golf ball sized balls of dough and place on a cookie sheet.
- Place 1/4 c sugar and a pinch of salt (in addition to the ingredients listed above) in a dish. Stick the bottom of a glass in it. Firmly press the glass into the center of each dough ball.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Move cookies to a wire rack to cool.
For the Frosting:
- Place the cream cheese and butter in a medium mixing bowl and use a spatula to soften them.
- Once the mixture is well blended and smooth, sift in the powdered sugar and continue beating until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and stir to combine.
- Frost the cookies, once the cookies have completely cooled.