|Prize Winning Whole Wheat Bread made with Joseph's Grainery Whole Wheat Flour|
|Penny and her Best In Class Ribbon|
|This is what MaMa has to put up with during her "photo shoots".|
Prize Winning Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1/4 c warm water
- 1 1/2 c hot water
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp shortening
- 2 c Joseph's Grainery Hard Red Whole Wheat Bread Flour, stirred
- 3 to 3 1/4 c sifted all purpose flour
- Soften the active dry yeast in 1/4 c warm water (110 degrees). Combine hot water, sugar, salt and shortening; cool to lukewarm. stir in whole wheat flour and 1 c of the all purpose flour; beat well. Stir in the softened yeast. Add enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Turn out on a lightly floured surface; knead till smooth and satiny (10 to 12 minutes - we just let our kitchenaid mixer do the work).
- Shape the dough into a ball; place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface. Cover; let rise in warm place until it doubles in size (about 1 1/2 hours). Punch down. Cut into 2 portions; shape each in a smooth ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape into loaves; place in greased loaf pans. Let rise until double (about 1 1/4 hours). Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes.
We're excited to be a part of Welcome Wednesday, Hooking Up with HOH and Make It Fantabulous.